Corvina, Corvinone, Rondinella, Sangiovese
75cl * 13.5% ABV * Verona IGT, Veneto, Italy
Allegrini uses the modern version of the traditional 'ripasso' technique for this 'baby' Amarone. The Palazzo della Torre has 70% of its grapes picked in September and vinified immediately, while the remaining 30% were left to dry until January, when they were vinified and then refermented with the wine. The Allegrini family has been a protagonist in the history of Fumane and Valpolicella Classica since the 16th century, however Giovanni Allegrini was the first to start bottling wines from the family’s vineyards. The estate covers 150 hectares of vineyard in the heart of Valpolicella Classico. The vineyard of Palazzo della Torre takes its name from the adjacent Villa Della Torre, an important and elegant testimony to the culture and architecture of the Italian Renaissance. It covers 26 hectares of east-facing vines of Corvina, Rondinella and Sangiovese planted between 1962 and 1989, at an average altitude of 240 metres above sea level.
Deep ruby red in colour with violet hues, it opens with sophisticated notes of vanilla, black pepper, cloves, echoed by light hints of raisins, with perfumes of cherry and black forest gateau. Plush and rounded, the textured palate is underpinned by sweet, polished tannins that linger on the long and intriguing finish.
Pair with mushrooms and sausage risotto, Carbonara pasta, prosciutto platters, pork loin, roast veal, Parmigiano Reggiano and aged Monte Veronese cheese. Serve at 18 degrees.